Academic FAQs

What is the difference between an MS and a PSM degree?

The Professional Science Master's is a special designation for an M.S. degree. The PSM does not require a thesis, instead focuses on applied research, with an emphasis on hands-on problem solving. 

Students work directly with industry leaders on real world problems. The program's curriculum is guided by an advisory board of professionals in the analytics industry.

I am interested in taking several courses, but I'm not sure if I want to commit to a master's degree. Do I have an option?

Yes. If you have earned a bachelor's degree, you may be able to take courses as a post-baccalaureate on a permission of the program basis. Alternately, you can apply for the Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics and Analytics. The certificate mirrors the foundation and core curriculum of the master's program. If you later apply to the master's program, the credits earned can be applied to the degree. Submit applications for either programs online through the Graduate School's Admissions website. 

Can I attend the program part-time?

Yes, we admit part-time and full-time students. One caution, the Graduate School limits the time to complete the degrees. Please refer to the graduate school for those specifics. 

Are classes available online?  

Starting Summer II 2019, the HIAN Graduate Certificate is being offered online via a part-time pathway. 

I work full-time; are evening classes available?

The program is intentionally designed to accommodate working professionals. The majority of the classes are in the evening, usually after 5:00 pm (or Saturday mornings) and meet once a week. 

Where are the classes taught?

The majority of the classes are taught at the main campus with several being taught in Center City Charlotte.  

What is the average class size?

 Classes usually have 20-30 students.  Classes offered in the summer tend to be smaller.

How do I know what classes are available?

The course schedule is available online.  Visit the UNC Charlotte website at  Click on the current students tab in the green bar at the top of the page.  Then click on Course Schedule under the Academics and Advising section.  Select the term you are interested in and submit.  Under the Subject heading select HCIP and perform a Class Search.

Is financial support available from the University?

While some funding for graduate students is available- it is limited.  US Citizens enrolled in the Professional Science Master's (PSM) degree or the Graduate certificate can qualify for unsubsidized federal loans.  Full-time students enrolled in the PSM can also apply for graduate assistantships.  The assistantships are highly competitive, and the majority are awarded through academic departments. Several academic grants and scholarships are available.  Details on potential graduate support at the University level can be found through the UNC Charlotte Graduate School at: Graduate School Funding.

When do I apply for an assistantship?

You can apply for an assistantship once you are accepted into the program. Most assistantship opportunities are emailed to students during the beginning of the new semester. More information can be found at the graduate school's website.